PhD (Electroanalytical Chemistry) @ Department of Chemistry & Biomolecular Sciences,
Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia (2006).
Thesis: Development, characterization and application of physically small carbon electrodes as biosensors (Advisors: Dr Danny K Y Wong and Dr Christopher McRae).
MSc (Chemistry) @ Department of Chemistry, Presidency College (Autonomous), Chennai, Tamilnadu, India (2001)
Final Marks: 70.5%, College 2nd Rank.
Thesis: Electrolytic recovery of copper and removal of organic pollutants from copper phthalocyanine blue process stream (Advisors: Dr R. Shankaranarayanan and Dr C. Ahmed Basha).
BSc (Chemistry) @ Department of Chemistry, Alagappa Government Arts College (Affiliated to Madurai Kamaraj University), Karaikudi, Tamilnadu, India (1999)
Final Marks - 90.2%, Madurai Kamaraj University 4th Rank.
Work Experience (Total: 7 Years 8 Months)
Quick Hire Scientist @ CSIR-Central Electrochemical Research Institute, Karaikudi, Tamilnadu, India (Feb 2013 onwards)
Research Associate @ College of Medicine & Nanotechnology Research and Education Center (Joint Position), University of South Florida, Tampa, FL,USA (Jan 2011- Feb 2013).
Senior Postdoctoral Researcher @ Nanotechnology Research & Education Center, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL,USA (Nov 2009-Dec 2010).
Postdoctoral Research Associate @ Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, Florida International University, Miami, FL, USA (Nov 2007-Oct 2009).
Postdoctoral Research Associate @ Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA (Oct 2006-Oct 2007).
Recent Publications (from CSIR-CECRI)
(1) Vusa CSR, Berchmans S, Alwarappan S, Facile and green synthesis of graphene, RSC Advances 4, 22470 (2014).
(2) Wang C, Ravi S, Garapati U, Das M, Howell M, Mallela J, Alwarappan S, Mohapatra SS, Mohapatra S, Multifunctional Chitosan Magnetic-Graphene Nanoparticles: A theranostic platform for tumor targeted co-delivery of drugs, genes and MRI contrast agents. Journal of Materials Chemistry B 1, 4396-4405 (2013).
Recent Publications (Prior Joining CSIR-CECRI)
(3) Alwarappan S, Erdem A, Liu C, Li CZ. Probing the electrochemical properties of graphene nanosheets for biosensing applications. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2009 113(20):8853-8857 (Impact Factor: 4.184).
(4) Alwarappan S, Liu C, Kumar A, Li CZ. Enzyme doped graphene for enhanced glucose biosensing. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2010 114(30):12920-12924 (Impact Factor: 4.184).
(5) Alwarappan S, Liu G, Li CZ. Simultaneous detection of dopamine, ascorbic acid and uric acid at electrochemically pretreated carbon nanotube biosensors. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 2010 6(1):e52-e57 (Impact Factor: 6.930).
(6) Alwarappan S, Joshi RK, Ram MK, Kumar A. Direct electron transfer mechanism of Cytochrome C at graphene electrode. Applied Physics Letter 2010 96(1):263702 (Impact Factor: 3.726).
(7) Alwarappan S, Boyapalle S, Mohapatra S, Li CZ and Kumar A. Comparative study of “single, few and multilayered graphene” towards enzyme conjugation and electrochemical response. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2012, 116 (11), 6556-6559 (Impact Factor: 4.184).
(8) Alwarappan S, Cisell K, Dixit S, Li CZ, and Mohapatra, Chitosan modified graphene electrodes for DNA mutation analysis. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry 2012, 686, 69-72 (Impact Factor: 2.676).
(9) Prabhulkhar S, Alwarappan S, Li CZ. Amperometric micro immunosensor for the detection of tumor biomarker. Biosensors and Bioelectronics 2009: 24(12):3524-3530 (Impact Factor: 5.437).
(10) Liu C, Alwarappan S, Li CZ. Membraneless enzymatic biofuel cell based on graphene nanosheets, Biosensors and Bioelectronics 2010 25 (7):1829-1833 (Impact Factor: 5.437).
(11) Alwarappan S, Butcher KSA, Wong DKY. Evaluation of hydrogenated physically small carbon electrodes in resisting fouling during voltammetric detection of dopamine. Sensors and Actuators: B (Chemical), 2007 128:299-305 (Impact Factor: 3.535).
(12) Shanmugarajan A, Alwarappan S, Somasundaram S, Rajendran L. Analytical solution of amperometric enzymatic reactions based on Homotopy perturbation method. Electrochim. Acta 2011, 56, 3345-3352 (Impact Factor: 4.088).