Name : A. Palaniappan, Ph.D.
Qualifications : Postdoctoral Fellow: University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA
under the guidance of Prof. Vincent Rotello
Ph.D.: Wayne State University, Detroit, USA under the guidance of Prof. Stephanie L. Brock
M.Sc.: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Mumbai
B.Sc.: S.I.V.E.T. College, Gowrivakkam, University of Madras
To know more about A. Palaniappan (popularly known as 'pops') please click here.
July 98 – July 00: Project Assistant, PD Division, National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune, India.
• Synthesized polycarbonates via solid state polymerization techniques using novel bis-phenol type monomers. Participated in scale-up (pilot-plant) of the solid state polymerization process and many of these processes are patented.
March 98 – June 98: Assistant Manager, R & D Division, Bakelite Hylam Ltd, Hyderabad, India.
• Synthesized new phenolic resins for bake linings. Identified and characterized a multivalent phenol source as part of a cost reduction program.
June 97 – Feb 98: Research Assistant, R & D Division, Dorf Ketal Chemicals, Bombay, India.
• Played a key role in many different areas including: synthesis and process modification of additives, method development (physical and chemical) for the analysis of additives and quality check of both raw materials and finished products. Provided technical support to sales department. Evaluated the performance of chemicals at customer locations.
- “Electrochemical Techniques to Heavy Metal Ion Sensors”, T. Kaviarasan, Sheela Berchmans, V. Ganesh, Palaniappan Arumugam, Manuscript in preparation.
- “Synthesis of gold nanoparticles: an ecofriendly approach using Hansenula anomala”, K. Sathish Kumar, R. Amutha R, Palaniappan Arumugam, Sheela Berchmans, ACS Applied Materials Interfaces, 2011, 3(5), 1418-1425.
- "Nanoparticle Immobilization on Surfaces via Activatable Heterobifunctional Dithiocarbamate Bond Formation", M-H. Park, Y.Ofir, B.Samanta, P.Arumugam, O. R.Miranda, V. M. Rotello, Advanced Materials, 2008, 20, 4185-4188.
- “FePt Colloidal Shell: Self-Assembly and Crosslinking of FePt Nanopartcles at Liquid-Liquid Interfaces”, P. Arumugam, D. Patra, B. Samanta, S.S. Agasti, C. Subramani, V.M. Rotello, Journal of American Chemical Society, 2008, 130, 10046-10047.
- "Polyelectrolyte Negative Resist Patterns as Templates for the Electrolstatic Assembly of Nanoparticles and Electroless Deposition of Metallic Films, Y. Ofir, B. Samanta, Q. Xiao, B.J. Jordon, H. Xu, P. Arumugam, R. Arvizo, M.T. Tuominen and V.M. Rotello, Advanced Materials, 2008, 20, 2561-2566.
- "Structural Control of the Monolayer Stability of Water-Soluble Gold Nanoparticles”, S.S. Agasti, C-C. You, P. Arumugam, V.M. Rotello, Journal of Material Chemistry, 2008, 18, 70-73.
- “Controlled Fluorination of FePt Nanoparticles: Hydrophobic to Superhydrophobic Surfaces”, Y. Ofir, B. Samanta, P. Arumugam, V.M. Rotello, Advanced Materials, 2007, 19, 4075-4079.
- “Bricks and Mortar, Nanoparticle Self-assembly Using Polymers”, P. Arumugam, H. Xu, S. Srivastava, V. M. Rotello, Polymer International, 2007, 56, 461-466.
- “DNA-Mediated Assembly of Iron Platinum (Fe-Pt) Nanoparticles”, S. Srivastava, B. Samanta, P. Arumugam, G. Han and V. M. Rotello, Journal of Material Chemistry, 2007, 17, 52-55.
- “From Ribbons to Nanodot Arrays: Nanopattern Design Through Reductive Annealing”, P. Arumuga